Saturday, November 15, 2014

An Angry Ear

As you can probably imagine, there isn't a lot to report on during this long waiting period until my activation date.  This past week I had my first follow-up appointment with the surgeon's nurse to make sure my incision and ear canal look good.  My stitches were removed, but I had more scabbing than they would like to see so I will be going back this Monday to make sure I am healing properly.  The nurse also looked in my ear canal.  She said it looked "angry".  I thought, yeah, well..I guess I'd be angry too if someone gutted my insides out.  She saw dry blood and irritation so I have to put some ointment in my ear each night to calm it down. I told her I had been experiencing a really sharp pain in my inner ear on occasion, but it only lasted a couple of seconds.  I have to confess that my negligence might have contributed to the pain because I blew my nose a few times before realizing that is a big no-no.  If I'd only read the discharge papers thoroughly I would have known not to do this.  Oops.

I left the doctor's office with the okay to wash my hair, but to be careful near the wound. Boy, did it feel good to take a shower (I had been taking baths). It was as if I reentered the land of the living.

I still catch myself reaching behind my ear where the incision is as if to adjust my hearing aid.  Sometimes my finger pokes a tender spot and I jerk my hand away.  Maybe I do this to make sure I still have an ear. 

There are only ten days to activation.  Let the countdown begin!




No comments:

Post a Comment